Its been 8months but more importantly a winter has now almost passed since i upgraded the outside of my house with 4″ of external insulation. In previous blogs I mentioned that detailing is everything with external insulation. IT IS! I have also added three new triple glazed timber windows and a new front door with good weather stripping as I live in a bit of a drafty area. What I have found to date
- We have a warm bedroom for the first time ever! (three exterior walls)
- A small patch in the living room now has a condensation problem around the new room vent. I either have a water leak or a new cold spot because of the cold air coming in to feed the log fire
- A window is leaking water through the reveal
- The external render is really soft and not good when you have a 7 year old who is besotted with football. Wheely bin lids are much harder than the wall and often leave marks. Keep your spare paint handy!
- I have had a couple of small blowouts on the silicate render coat (about an inch in diameter)
- ladders also present a problem for the house. Storms shifted the satellite dish and I had to un-shift it. I have softened my ladders with pipe insulation on the ends (but it makes the ladder bouncier!)
Overall I have a much warmer house which keeps its heat longer. You have to look after this new coat on the house and keep hold of the warranty documents!